Wednesday, December 30, 2009

lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn.

My family's New Year tradition consists of compiling a sort of time capsule-- gathering our favorite pictures, candy bars, newspaper clippings, action figures of the year. We even make a video with us all answering questions like "Jonathan, what's your favorite color? What is your favorite thing about this year?"At least that what it was growing up.

We stopped making videos and measuring ourselves once we realized that our favorite colors don't really change, and we'd rather play with our Barbies and eat the candy bars than put them in a box for a year. I think we still have a foil covered shoe box in the basement from the new Millennium.

Though my family will celebrate New Year's in different parts of the state tomorrow, I wonder what it would be like to make a video and time capsule again. Thus, my post.

As cliche as it may be, 2009 is probably my favorite year of existence thus far. No, I don't have many to compare, but wow, God packed in a lot in 365 days. I have a lot to thank him for, to reflect on, and to give me joy for the new year. Maybe I should make a box and reopen this joy next year, but I'd rather write and share it. I want to celebrate life. Living, breathing, rejoicing in the blessings and the redemption God so gracefully gives.

So, 2009. Let's see.

-My favorite birthday, celebrated with a cake made by Rudy.
-A redeeming trip to the DR.
-My Roo's graduation and necessary celebrations.
-Cedars. Yeah.
- Running those 13.1 miles with my daddy.
-The blessing of Midtown.
- That infamous brownie fight.
- This thing called my European Adventure. Standing at the top of the mountain, under the Eiffel Tower, on the shore of the Baltic Sea, and in O'Hare. All moments I'll never forget.
- Maddox 5. Imogen Heap, Tansley and Jane, Lost, cuddling, and lots of love.
- The blessing of witnessing a couple beautiful weddings.

More than celebrations for myself, I love that so many good things happened to those I love.

-Whit and Jordan tie the knot.
-Jenna conquers law school. Nathan scores a hot job.
- Dad finally turns in his dissertation; Mom starts planning their new life.
- Jonathan starts the college hunt, nailing most things he encounters, including his body.
-The Engaged group grows larger: Steph, Than, Jess, Luke, Amanda, Keith, Ali. Even more find new love.
- Lots have their own overseas adventures.
- Al and TFA. Yesss!
- Many more land fantastic grad school spots. Way to go, my awesomely smart friends.

Wow. I could go on. And on. And the smile would probably start hurting my face. Yes, 2009 was a great year. No to mention that this list doesn't even touch on international events. Obama, anyone?

If I made a box, I would put in this list, a clipping of the unemployment stats, my Russian circus ticket, and the broken ring from Whitney. Celebrated events, shaken life, fun life, and community life.

Yes, this is the new year. Much to anticipate, much for which I should already deliver thanks.

Here we go. Cheers.



1 comment:

R. W. High said...

brilliant, my love. you've indeed had a blessed year and you passed your blessing on to me by being the best friend and encouragement a roommate could ask for. Peace in 2010, dearest one. (And may I offer to the capsule a taped video of "Talk Sex with Sue Johanson," a receipt from our favorite Indian restaurant in Dayton, and your first Dr. J hattrick quiz?)