Monday, December 21, 2009

advent.

I love the practice of Advent; of daily meditating on the Christmas story, of delighting in the greater story behind the season. I have read so many articles lately that discuss how the anticipation of Christmas means so much more than just waiting for the Holidays. As Christians, we live in Advent-- waiting for the day when redemption comes, when all is restored.

Over the past week, I have written numerous essays for multiple job applications. All demand that I provide specifics of how my experiences and skills apply directly to this or that position. Draining at times, articiluating just how my personality matches this organization, I find the practice very worthwhile. Though the applications are somewhat similar, I am forced to analyze and interpret my life experiences in light of the organization's goals and mission. "Yes, I believe in economic liberty; yes, let me tell you how I live out excellence; yes, of course I am a hard worker."

At times I feel like I throw up my heart and passions on the page. I want to scream "I WANT RESTORATION!" and hope the economic development organization can interpret that as "Obviously this job is perfect for me and I'll do everything possible to make it work." Instead, I must demonstrate how my abroad experience showed me how I want to be involved in the nitty gritty of eradicating poverty, and how my desire for justice and peace means I must engage international policy. It's hard to minimize my life to 250 words.

It's hard to show that this whole idea of Advent is why I want to change the systems, help the individual, and approach the challenges of social justice. I want redemption so much, I will do everything possible to bring this aspect of the Kingdom down now. I want so much for the hurting to be restored, the oppressed to be uplifted. I cannot wait-- cannot do Advent-- for this. My head hurts as I try to demonstrate my passion and desire to give Hope to others, and my heart aches and I know I cannot do it, even through these organizations.

"Thy Kingdom come.."


No comments: